Economic Growth and Overview
The businesses in Kanata North are becoming increasingly diverse, offering their products and services both locally and internationally.
- One of Canada’s most vibrant technology industry economies.
- Canada’s largest Research + Technology Park
- Major economic sectors: Information & Communications Technology, Software.
- Emerging economic sectors: Defence, Security & Aerospace, Life Sciences, Cleantech.
- Major export markets include the United States, the United Kingdom, China, Germany and Japan.
- Kanata North has a rich base of 23,000+ skilled employees.
- Over 50% of the employees live within 5 kms of their work – Offering tremendous life-work balance.
- Over 500 companies call Kanata North home – contributing over $13 Billion to Canada’s GDP
- Productivity of Kanata North workers is on average 4x greater than the average Canadian worker.
- Kanata has over 101,000 residents.
- Average net contribution per employee in Kanata North is $391,000 ($90,000 is the average
contribution per employee in Canada)
- Kanata North households have a combined average of $217,000 (over $30,000 more than the average Ottawa household).
- Kanata North is an affordable place to live, with a total cost of living substantially lower than international, national and other Canadian centres.
- The largest subdivision in North Kanata is Morgans Grant with over 15,000 residents. This subdivision abuts the Kanata North Business Park and is a valuable resource to local companies.
- 7% of Kanata North’s population is Francophone and growing while 26% are bilingual.
- Kanata has a large Chinese population as well.
- 50% of the population is between the ages of 25-59 years old.
With the diversity of businesses located in Kanata North, from Sanmina to Cisco to Deloitte, Kanata North has the communications infrastructure to support global high tech, manufacturing and service companies.
Key Intercity Infrastructure:
- Hwy 417 linking to Hwy 416 and Hwy 401
- Ottawa International Airport, Ottawa (20 minutes)
- Rail access (Barrhaven/Fallowfield Station closest to Kanata North)
Download the Kanata North Technology Ecosystem Summary Report
If you would like to receive the full version of the Economic Impact Study please contact us.