The Kanata North BIA has now launched a new KEEP IT LOCAL initiative with this lovely new logo. We believe in supporting our local businesses and with this new logo and initiative we hope to convince others as well! Watch for this logo as it makes it’s way in business windows around the community. Have a local business? Get in touch for your Keep it Local window sticker.
Also watch the Kanata Kourier in the coming weeks. Each week we will be featuring a different local business and sharing their story!
TOP TEN REASONS TO KEEP IT LOCAL:
- Supporting local businesses creates jobs. Businesses in our community, create local employment and self-employment. These people in turn spend in the local community.
- Local independent businesses invest more in our communities. Local businesses are proportionately more generous in their support of local charities, schools and community events. Supporting local businesses means a financial impact on our community.
- Local businesses sell a wide range of great products at affordable prices. Many people fall out of the habit of shopping locally and are then surprised by the range of products and services available.
- Shopping local saves you money. Out of town shops have done a good job of convincing us that local business equals expensive. If you add travel, fees to transfer items and your time, the overall cost is often much higher.
- Shopping local retains our communities. People don’t like losing shops and services in their communities but don’t equate this to how they spend their money.
- Shopping local retains our distinctiveness. Independent shops create distinctive shopping experiences and stock different products. Local businesses respond quickly to the needs of local customers, stocking products to meet the changing population needs.
- Shopping local saves the environment. Local shops often stock a high percentage of local sourced goods which do not require long car and bus journeys, helping reduce our global footprint.
- Local shops are for everyone. Most people can get to their local shops easily and this is especially important for the elderly and young generations and those without transportation.
- Local shops value you more. Evidence from numerous surveys show people receive better customer care and service locally. These businesses survive by their reputation and repeat business, which means you get a higher standard of service.
- Supporting local saves services. Private and public sector services tend to cluster around shops. As shops disappear so do hairdressers, banks, restaurants, and other valuable services.
Keep it Local!