Events in Kanata North
Stay informed with the latest business networking events around Ottawa! If you know of a local or industry event taking place in Ottawa that you'd like to see featured on our website, please let us know.
- This event has passed.
Volunteers needed for flood assistance
May 3 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
In support of our community neighbours, the Kanata North Business Association is reaching out to our members to assist with support efforts for those impacted by the severe flooding in west Ottawa and surrounding areas. The number one priority is filling sandbags and supporting homeowners along the Ottawa River.
We have scheduled an OC Transport bus to pick up volunteers from our business community and transport them to the Constance and Buckham’s Bay Community Centre located at 262 Len Purcell Lane, Woodlawn. Ontario K0A 3M0, where volunteers will then be dispatched to areas in need.
For those able to assist please find the ‘revised’ details on the bus schedule and donation items in need:
The OC Transport bus will be available in front of the building at 555 Legget Drive this Friday. There will be two pick up and return times for those that can only volunteer for half a day whether it be in the morning or afternoon.
Bus schedule and location:
Morning pick up:
- Friday, May 3rd at 8:30 am first pick up of volunteers in front of building 555 Legget Drive in Kanata. Departs at 9 am and drops off at 262 Len Purcell Lane.
- For those who could only spend half day in the morning, the bus will return volunteers from 262 Len Purcell Lane back to 555 Legget Dr in Kanata at 12:00 pm.
- Afternoon volunteers can board the bus at 12:00 pm in front of building 555 Legget Drive in Kanata. Departs at 12:45 pm and drops off at 262 Len Purcell Lane.
- Final bus would will return all volunteers on Friday, May 3rd from 262 Len Purcell Lane at 4:30 pm and return to 555 Legget Dr. in Kanata.
To help with head count, we ask that you please sign up here: https://lnkd.in/gGgUD8T
Volunteers may be requested to check in to the Registration Centre at the community centre to fill out a Volunteer Registration and Liability Waiver to be provided with an armband identification.
- Please wear weather-appropriate clothing that may get dirty, wet or damaged.
- Volunteers must be at least 12 years old. Volunteers under 18 must be supervised by an adult or legal guardian.
If your company would like to donate or collect non-perishable food items to offer the volunteers assisting the flood victims – they have requested the following items:
- Any packaged food items (snacks), chips, chocolate bars, cookies, Gatorade, package nuts, protein bars, trail mix, orange juice boxes. (No homemade food items please).
Drop off location:
You may drop off your items at the Constituency Office of Karen McCrimmon, 555 Legget Drive, Suite #121, Kanata, ON K2K 3B8.
For those wishing to make a cash donation they can do so by contacting:
The Canadian Red Cross is coordinating financial donations, which will support individuals, families and communities that are currently affected by flooding in Ontario. You can donate to the Ontario Floods Appeal:
- Online(link is external)
- By calling 1-800-418-1111
- By contacting your local Canadian Red Cross office
- West Carleton Food Access Centre will also accept cheques mailed to 5670 Carp Road, Kinburn, ON K0A 2H0 or via eTransfer to WCfoodaid@gmail.com. The West Carleton Food Access Centre is located at 5670 Carp Road, Kinburn on the lower level and their hours are between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm.
We would like to thank all volunteers who can join us on Friday!
For additional support information please visit: City of Ottawa Flood Information.
Questions please contact Deborah