Events in Kanata North
Stay informed with the latest business networking events around Ottawa! If you know of a local or industry event taking place in Ottawa that you'd like to see featured on our website, please let us know.
- This event has passed.
Making Sense of the New Media: Intensive Media Relations Training
October 16, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
The newsroom has changed. It’s no longer about sending out press releases and hoping your message is heard. It’s about understanding and navigating the digital world to have your story rise to the top and get noticed. This course will sharpen your skills in this ever-changing industry, and provide you with tangible skills and practical knowledge that you can then put to use in your own office.
This course includes:
- The New Media Landscape: Learn how the newsroom has changed, adapted and morphed with the digital age and what this means to the media and public relations profession
- Writing Fundamentals: Learn how to strategically pinpoint your outreach to media, create pitches and adapt the tired press release
- Make Noise: Learn how to get noticed in a sea of voices, and have your client’s story rise to the top through strategic pitching and outreach
- Prepare for the Worst: Learn the fundamentals of preparing a strategic crisis communications plan for today’s media landscape
- Practice Makes Perfect: Put yourself in the hot seat and practice and hone your interview skills
- Laptop computer or device with Wi-Fi capability
Early Bird Pricing: Must purchase tickets before September 15, 2015 at 5:00pm to be eligible for Early Bird pricing. General ticket purchasing window closes October 15, 2015 at 5:00pm.
Lunch Break: Lunch will not be provided, however, we will take an hour-long lunch break in which time you can feel free to indulge in any one (or more) of the many lunch spots located within walking distance of the site.
Parking: There is a parking lot at 70 Clarence St. for $11/day and one at 26 York St. for $17.00/day. Metered parking is also available on York street for $3.00/hour.
Public Transit: This location is a 10 minute walk from the MacKenzie King Bridge and a 3 minute walk from Rideau St.
Cost: $195 – $250, plus taxes